Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Thor #6 Review

THOR #6
Written by J. Michael Straczynski
Art by Olivier Coipel

These last couple issues have really turned this book around for me. I was a little weary of JMS's preaching and, basically, using the characters to express his political opinions, but he seems to be focusing on the characters now and just letting things evolve naturally.

My favourite part of the issue was where we spent most of it - in the town diner, which must serve a mean cup of coffee based on the number of people there that early in the morning. JMS does an excellent job here by having the exploits and reactions to the Asgardian neighbours related by the townsfolk to the 'just returned' Dr Blake from his globetrotting a few issues ago. I can't really pick a favourite story, as they were all enjoyable in their own way.

The first one dealt with Volstagg's cake eating town meeting query about what indoor plumbing was and relating to the people that the Asgardians just toss their, um, droppings off the side of the castle walls. The looks on the other Asgardians' faces was pricless during the questioning.

Next up was Hogan's trip to Texas. Well, technically, we get to see him coming back with some bulls over his shoulder as he helps out a resident who's truck sprung a flat. The man's son was perfect and how Hogan relates how he felled the animals made the final panel, where the boy asks the father why he never punched out a bull before, all the better.

The final one was the meeting between Kelda and town local, Bill. I have to say, Coipel and the colourist did an incredible job with Kelda. She basically radiated with beauty and it's easy to see why Bill, born of the Bills, was so stricken by her. I liked the closing comment from Blake when Bill laments about how it's like a fisherman, who loves fish, can't marry a fish, as where would they build the house? There's a hushed silence with no answer before Blake chimes in on the river's edge. The other two were funny, but if I was forced to pick, I think I liked this exploit the most.

Finally, there was actual plot progression in this issue as well. Blake convinces Thor to free all the Norse gods that are trapped in human forms, even the bad ones or pragmatic ones like Odin. I was a bit confused as to why he had to go all out and free them all at once instead of maybe focusing on maybe continent by continent or some smaller division first. Still, should be interesting to see if anyone has to register. That was a joke. A bad one. She-Loki was in this issue, too. Just some random veiled warnings and philosophy to he/herself as he/she sees Thor flying off to free everyone. A bit disappointing, as I was hoping for more, but I was afraid he/she wouldn't even be in it.

Little note, as I know a little Japanese, the sign prominently displayed during the freeing of the gods doesn't say anything important. Meridia is what it says and I can't make out the bottom part, but I'm guessing it's a hotel or random store, probably just pulled from a reference photo. No hidden messages there for the obsessive compulsive people looking for hidden meanings in things.

Verdict - Must Read. I didn't think an issue where so little happened could be so good. Eventually the book will have to deliver some kind of plot progression or conflict, but if it stays like this for a little while, I won't be complaining, either.


Related Posts


2 comments:

oakleyses said...

bottega veneta, jimmy choo outlet, insanity workout, abercrombie and fitch, mcm handbags, oakley, soccer shoes, chi flat iron, p90x workout, wedding dresses, nike trainers uk, nike air max, soccer jerseys, vans outlet, mont blanc pens, nike roshe run, nike roshe run uk, hollister, north face outlet, longchamp uk, north face outlet, reebok outlet, hermes belt, valentino shoes, celine handbags, giuseppe zanotti outlet, mac cosmetics, new balance shoes, nfl jerseys, nike huaraches, iphone 6 cases, babyliss, instyler, baseball bats, beats by dre, hollister clothing, ferragamo shoes, ghd hair, herve leger, lululemon, timberland boots, asics running shoes

oakleyses said...

wedding dresses, montre pas cher, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, ugg boots, swarovski crystal, ugg boots, converse outlet, thomas sabo, links of london, replica watches, ralph lauren, ugg, toms shoes, hollister, ugg pas cher, uggs outlet, pandora charms, marc jacobs, louboutin, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, lancel, supra shoes, pandora jewelry, gucci, swarovski, vans, juicy couture outlet, uggs on sale, ugg uk, uggs outlet, hollister, converse, pandora uk, ray ban, nike air max, juicy couture outlet, coach outlet, karen millen uk

Post a Comment

Thanks for checking out the Weekly Crisis - Comic Book Review Blog. Comments are always appreciated. You can sign in and comment with any Google, Wordpress, Live Journal, AIM, OpenID or TypePad account.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.