MIGHTY AVENGERS #7Written by Brian Michael Bendis
Art by Mark Bagley
Wow, just when I was ready to write Mighty Avengers off, team Bendis & Bagley goes and floors me with this issue. I'm not saying it was Cho's fault for any negativity directed towards the book when I heap praise on Bagley this time around, as it was as much the fault of Bendis' story as it was Cho's lateness.
Everyone pretty much knows the basics of what happens here. It's already been covered in Illuminati and New Avengers. However, Bendis does the impossible and manages to make these scenes interesting despite being the equivilent of a in-depth rehash of stuff we already know.
The team's ripping of Tony over his former femdom was great. Ares' stole the scene with his comments and thought bubble. Spider-Woman's reintegration into the team was a lot of fun. I loved Ms. Marvel's reaction to her friend rejoining and there was another hilarious Ares' thought bubble. In fact, just about all the thought bubbles were great here with the exception of Wonder Man's speech.
Speaking of Wonder Man, I think Bendis is reading my mind because I can't believe anyone approved that leisure suit jacket "costume" he's been sporting. It made no sense. It looked horrible and I can't imagine anyone being able to move or fight in that thing. I think Janet's fashion intervention was the best thing for that character in the last decade. Loved Carol's line about how Janet already showed these costume designs off to Luke Cage. However, his new suit didn't really strike me as being that great either, but it's an improvement and I'll settle for baby steps with regards to his costume.
Finally, it looks like the symbiote invasion was started by Tony Stark instead of Dr Doom. There's clean up crews in space working on Tony Stark's satellites, so I assume it came from one of his that were destroyed during the Ultron stuff. Maybe one of Doom's was near by and got caught up in the wreckage? Also, seeing Mark Bagley drawing symbiotes, as much as he must hate it by now, is always awesome. His Venom and Carnage are the designs I will always associate with them and Cho's cover image doesn't even compare with what Bagley does in the final few pages of this issue.
Verdict - Must Read. Just plain fun. I was laughing and had a stupid smirk on my face the entire time. Only thing wrong with this issue is that it should have come out like 5 months ago.
0 comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for checking out the Weekly Crisis - Comic Book Review Blog. Comments are always appreciated. You can sign in and comment with any Google, Wordpress, Live Journal, AIM, OpenID or TypePad account.
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.