Welcome back everyone. I hope you all enjoyed your weekend. There's a lot of good books coming out this Wednesday and the Post-Crisis Comic Book Previews are here to let you know what to expect from my pull list this coming week.November signals the beginning of Annihilation: Conquest and you can catch the finishing touches of the Starlord mini as well and you can be sure I'll be picking up the opening salvo of that event this upcoming week. On top of that is the final part of the Illuminati series, which sets up the Secret Invasion event coming next year. On the DC side of things, there's always a few Countdown tie-ins to be had and the enjoyable Third Kryptonian arc is wrapping up. Hit the jump for the full previews and my thoughts on everything I'm getting.
ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST # 1Written by Dan Abnett
Art by Tom Raney
Kirk Says: Conquest is finally here. The mini-series were about equal to the first Annihilation's offerings. Quasar and Wraith are the Ronan and Super Skrull for this year, Nova was just as good as last year and Starlord was probably better than the Silver Surfer mini or at least equal. Most of us were too weak willed and looked at the spoilers for this issue's big reveal and I'm curious to see how it plays out for myself this week.
ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST - STARLORD # 4Written by Keith Giffen
Art by Timothy Green III
Kirk Says: Starlord has been excellent from the very beginning and I'm hoping Giffen can deliver a memorable finish to lead us into Conquest. Could easily end up being my Comic Book of the Week.
ASTONISHING X-MEN # 23Written by Joss Whedon
Art by John Cassidy
Kirk Says: I'm not even sure if this book is coming out. I just saw it in Marvel's solicits for this week and added it to the list. More than likely the website just wasn't updated, but in the off chance it actually is coming out, I've got it covered. If I had known there would be so many delays for this, I'd just have skipped it and grabbed it when the trade came out.
COUNTDOWN TO FINAL CRISIS #25Story by Paul Dini
Breakdowns by Keith Giffen
Script by Adam Beechen
Art by Carlos Magno
Kirk Says: I thought last issue was a huge jump in the presentation of Countdown in both story and art. It still hasn't been spectacular, but hopefully it can continue the momentum with the new name change and become a true successor to 52.
COUNTDOWN PRESENTS: THE SEARCH FOR RAY PALMER: RED RAIN #1Written by Peter Johnson
Art by Kelley Jones
Kirk Says: Red Rain is one of the best Elseworlds ever produced and ranks up there as one of the best Batman tales. Search For Ray Palmer has been hit and miss, but I'm hoping they can deliver on this one.
FANTASTIC FOUR # 551Written by Dwayne McDuffie
Art by Paul Pelletier
Kirk Says: Have I mentioned I hate Michael Turner's art lately? The man manages to make Dr Doom look bad and with a group of 5 people on the cover, he still manages to not draw a single set of feet. How these covers are popular are beyond me. He's barely a step above Rob Liefeld. Oh ya, not sure what to make of this solicit. Sounds interesting, but McDuffie has been quite erratic on his FF tenure.
IMMORTAL IRON FIST # 10Written by Ed Brubaker & Matt Fraction
Art by David Aja
Kirk Says: Ah, glorious Iron Fist loving. Brubaker and Fraction can't put this series out fast enough for me. Count me in as one of the people wanting to see more Fat Cobra. Hopefully a rematch is in order.
MS. MARVEL # 21Written by Brian Reed
Art by Aaron Lopresti
Kirk Says: Ms Marvel's been pretty solid book. Not great, not bad with the exception of the last couple issues with the Nextwave incarnation of Machine Man being awesome. I'm curious to see the follow up on the 'murder' of Puppet Master by Ms Marvel last issue. Hopefully Machine Man is still kicking around after the conclusion to the last arc as I can never get enough of his Nextwave personality.
NEW AVENGERS: ILLUMINATI # 5Written by Brian Michael Bendis
Art by Jim Cheung
Kirk Says: The final part is finally here. If you're interested in who I think might be a Skrull, check out my Usual Skrullspects article. Too bad Mighty Avengers didn't ship on time as we've seen previews of future issues of that title where Spider-Woman gives Tony the Skrull Elektra corpse, which is the basis of this issue. Either way, this is going to be a key issue in next years Secret Invasion event, so it's pretty much a must read for any Marvel fan.
ROBIN #168Written by Peter Milligan
Art by Freddie Williams II
Kirk Says: One thing I hate about these line wide cross overs is being forced to buy books I don't care about. The Robin Annual from last week was complete rubbish. I'll be getting this week's offering only for the Ra's stuff. Hopefully this issue actually has some meat to it.
SILVER SURFER: IN THY NAME # 1Written by Simon Spurrier
Art by Tan Eeh Huat
Kirk Says: Anyone know if this is in continuity or just another Silver Surfer: Requiem that has no impact on the current status quo? I like good Surfer stories, so I'll be giving this first issue a shot regardless. Oh ya, check out another garbage Turner cover. No feet yet again. Who cares though, they're not a very common piece of anatomy. Why would he ever need to draw them on a cover?
SUPERMAN #670Written by Kurt Busiek
Art by Rick Leonardi & Dan Green
Kirk Says: I'm going to guess this solicit info is wrong since part 2 already came out. Been enjoying this storyline so far and I'm curious to see what they do with the new Kryptonian.
THE ORDER # 4Written by Matt Fraction
Art by Barry Kitson
Kirk Says: The Order has yet to wow me since it began. It's not that it's been bad or anything. I just think it might not be my cup of tea. Gonna stick with it until issue 6 at least to see how this opening arc pans out.
UNCANNY X-MEN # 492Written by Ed Brubaker
Art by Billy Tan
Kirk Says: The Messiah Complex Special did nothing to impress me and I'm fully expecting this issue to be mostly flash backs and catch up for the people that didn't buy the special. Hopefully something worthwhile happens, but I'm not holding my breath.
2 comments:
Are you sure Crime Bible comes again this week?
I just did a double check and you're right. I grabbed my solicits this week from http://www.newsarama.com/dcnew/Nov07/solicitations.html and it has it listed for the 7th. DC's site seems to have it as the 28th for issue 2.
Nice catch, I'll remove that from the listing.
Post a Comment
Thanks for checking out the Weekly Crisis - Comic Book Review Blog. Comments are always appreciated. You can sign in and comment with any Google, Wordpress, Live Journal, AIM, OpenID or TypePad account.
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.