Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Logan #1 Review

LOGAN #1
Written by Brian K. Vaughan
Art by Eduardo Risso

I'm not sure what to think about this issue. It is expertly written and the art fits the tone of the book to a tee, but a) this is a Wolverine story featuring Japan and b) it's been done a million times before.

Now that's a bit harsh an assessment and reason to go into this book tentative, but Logan can only go to Japan so many times, fight so many ninjas and get hot Asian women killed so many times. Is this issue better than just about every other one of those stories save the original mini-series? Yes, it definitely is. It's also a million times better than anything Way has done in the abysmal Wolverine: Origins with the choice of narration Vaughan has chosen.

I'm definitely going to stick around for the rest of the series as it's still a good read, but, like I said, the setting and typical plot points for this Wolverine story are starting to wear on me. I am curious about the opening though and who snuck up on Wolverine and took him out in the present day. Maybe someone from the past story that hasn't been revealed yet? Hopefully not Silver Samurai. I don't think I could handle that. The other thing that really made me want to stick around was the setting - Hiroshima, Japan, WWII. If there's a reference to Lazerus in this book, I will lose it because we all know Wolvie's gonna get nuked to kingdom come and I can't wait to see it.

Verdict - Check It (maybe Must Read. Will depend if Vaughan avoids the Wolverine cliche pitfalls of a Japan flashback)


Related Posts


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for checking out the Weekly Crisis - Comic Book Review Blog. Comments are always appreciated. You can sign in and comment with any Google, Wordpress, Live Journal, AIM, OpenID or TypePad account.

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.