LOGAN #1
"SNIKT"
Wolverine doesn't shy away from violence and we've all probably seen him slice or dice one thing or another, but this simple in and out 'snikt' really impressed me for some reason. It's like they say, I guess, "Less is more".
JUSTICE LEAGUE - THE NEW FRONTIER SPECIAL #1
"I can't let this...HUMAN beat me."
I couldn't possibly show the entire
Superman vs. Batman fight, but I think this little three page spread shows a lot of the great moments from the fight, specifically Superman's reaction to possibly losing to Batman. The fight was like 12 or 13 pages long, if I recall correctly, so this is just a small taste of everything that happened in the fight.
"I said get up you motherless alien!"There's a page or two between these two panels where
Wonder Woman gives a pep talk to the both of them (ie. no more fighting) about being heroes and examples, so I cut that out in favour of the name calling and kicking them when their down! I loved the reaction from
Superman to the motherless alien comment. You can see
Batman cut him pretty deep with that one and the scene with Bruce unmasking (he has lead under there to stop Supes from seeing who he is for reference) is great. "No hard feelings [over that asswhooping I just gave you]." is pretty funny after everything Batman just put him through. It was a great ending to an epic fight.
"That creature was a parasite that ravaged the era. They called them aluminum siding salesmen."
This was the opening page to the
New Frontier Special and it really set the tone for the book and pulled me back into the setting of this alternate universe. I loved the little up yours to the whole concept of 52 Earths or, at least, I believe that's the only way to interpret Cooke's debunking the entire 52 Earth model in this short sequence meaning.
"To the Teen Titans - John F. Kennedy"I thought this was a nice touch having
JFK be the one that gave the inspiration for the name of the
Teen Titans in the autographed photo he gave them for saving his life.
"WHAT are you doing here?"This was the funniest panel this week for me. Wonder Woman and Black Canary finding Batman "trailing a villain" at a strip club is just something you'd never see in any other comic book. Well, maybe Frank Miller's Goddamn Batman, but that would be for entirely different reasons.
"Maybe you should put your top back on."The look on everyone's face as they stare up at the topless Wonder Woman as Black Canary suggests she put her top back on are priceless.
GREEN LANTERN #28
"I will have my revenge against Sinestro."
It's a red lantern. Probably just a coincidence. I doubt it has anything to do with the Red Lanterns.
"No...Red Lantern."
Is she actually going to call herself
Red Lantern? I guess all the GLC's refer to themselves as Green Lanterns, but it seems weird to correct her friend when he calls out her name and she says it's Red Lantern now. I also expected her costume to change. For some reason, I don't see this new rage influenced power using the red variant of her GL uniform, but it still looks good I guess.
"The second law is the same as the first, but the third law will be cool, so make sure you don't miss it!"All this hype about the next law since they introduced the ability to kill Sinestro Corps members and all we get is...the ability to kill Sinestro Corps members and anyone else that pisses us off? It's the same freaking law as the first one. That's like an addendium or something, not a new law. These little smurfs suck at writing laws. Johns is really reaching for laws here. I hope the other eight laws actually mean something, like you can't park in a Guardians parking space or no painting rookie rings yellow, you know, important things.
X-FORCE #2
"My name is Scott Summers and I'm an asshole."
So,
Scott sends everyone on a black ops, kill everything mission so he doesn't get his own hands dirty, doesn't want to take any responsibility for undermining
Wolverine's command by ordering
X-23 to assassinate one of the Purifiers by any means (even sacrificing teammates) behind his back and then chews out Logan and blames him for it all going to hell? Who the hell is this guy and where'd Cyclops go?
"Magus"This is the big reveal at the end of X-Force. Bastion is going to, well, I don't know what he's going to do to be honest. Dump stuff in the ocean to let Magus assimilate and rebuild itself? Not sure what the plan is, but this is still a pretty cool looking image and I'm looking forward to seeing what happens with Magus.
NIGHTWING #142
"Your pal, Jimmy Olsen."
There isn't a wasted panel in this scene. Whether it's the 'catching up' panel between
Robin and
Nightwing about
Grant Morrison's League of Batmen story, the little note Dick left for
Batman and
Alfred or Alfred's reaction to the 'few things' Dick liberated from the storage closet.
"Think clean thoughts, chum."He said 'chum'. That is awesome anyway you look at it. I love conversations like this between heroes that just show they're real people and actually friends with each other. However, if Dick was a real friend, he would have invited Robin when he knew Power Girl would be around. Bros before hoes, Dick.
UNCANNY X-MEN #496
"Hey Joss, mind if I give away who dies in Astonishing X-Men?"
I don't really mind this being spoiled, but it's still pretty funny seeing the big "one X-Man isn't coming home" mystery spoiled. Guess we won't have to wonder about it for another 6 to 12 months or whenever they decide to release Giant Sized X-Men.
"Eternals is canon now."
I know they sort of set the Eternals mini in continuity when it came out, but it never really felt like it was or was touched on by any other book, so it kind of faded into the out of continuity category for me. That's why seeing it show up in UXM was a bit shocking for me this week. Random nod to a great revival by Gaiman or is this going to be something that ties into UXM #500 in a few month's time?
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #552
"Comic books? Do they still publish that trash?"
If JJ says it, it has to be true! I want to take this as a joke, but the cynic in me sees this coming from Brand New Day and wants to take this as an actual insult to the people still buying this title(I just found the scan online).
TEEN TITANS: YEAR ONE #3
"My sister hates me! BWAHHH!"
I loved the look on everyone's face when they realize Donna's going to start crying any second at the bottom of the first page. Aqualad taking a little taste of the tears was pretty funny as well and the bat hankie capped off a fun little sequence.
"Well, I've got cool stuff at home, too."
No Wally, no you don't. I do like someone so fast having a turtle as a pet, though.
"Aqualad vs. Batman - Bruce doesn't stand a chance."
I love seeing Batman take down random super heroes at will, but seeing him close line Kid Flash, who's moving at super speed, or over powering Donna and her lasso is a bit hard to swallow. Thankfully they don't job out Aqualad, as you can see in that last panel Batman is screaming for his life in sheer terror. What? The next page? Oh, it has Batman over the nearly crying Aqualad, most likely with something in his eye. That has nothing to do with this clear victory over Batman in this page.
CABLE #1
"Baby? What baby?"
Is this some 'Where's Waldo?' type scene where we're supposed to find a baby in the picture? I'm pretty sure there's one here, but it's hard to tell if it's that little speck in between Cable's two pectorials or not. Seriously, could they draw Cable bigger / the baby smaller?
"My name is Lucas Bishop and my arm is bigger than my body."
Where did he get that arm? Just stretch it out in your head and you can see it stretches to the floor. The bicep and tricep area are bigger than his torso and his forearm is bigger than his leg. That better be hollow and made of aluminum or there's no way I see Bishop being able to stand up, let alone shoot straight. It's also pretty odd the people are surprised this giant of a man with an enormous cybernetic arm that was just randomly pointing his gun at the door for the last couple of minutes (as seen in earlier pages) actually shot someone with it.
7 comments:
Funnily enough, the solicits for Incredible Herc show him fighting Ikaris outside the bridge from the city that ETERNALS was set in - San Fran or L.A? - AND it's drawn by Romita jr., AND apparently the Eternals are still on the mission to find others, 'cos apparently they think Herc is one.
So, yeah. In-continuity.
I was under the impression Bishop was Aboriginal. I have always like this because I'm Australian. Likewise I don't know but isn't Lucas normally an African-American name. Has someone not done their homework?
So um...are we all ignoring the fact that Buffy Summers bumped uglies with Satsu in this week's Buffy Season Eight...that was definitely a noteworthy moment in comics for this week.
OH ya, I remember reading about all the controversy around her girl on girl action. Didn't even think to look up a scan of it. I don't read Buffy, so it totally slipped my mind.
How is Nightwing able to reference a catch-phrase that only Batman, Jay Todd and Wonder Woman were there to hear? What, does Bruce just enjoy saying it every time a Robin meets Diana?
I understand what you're saying about the Second Law being somewhat redundant, but perhaps it will have different subrules to it than that first one does. But more than anything, it's supposed to be symbolic, as it shows us that Sinestro is actually still winning. This is what he wanted. To go from "we don't kill" to "lethal force [on Sinestro's] enabled" was huge, but then to go to "lethal force on all bad guys enabled", while not as big a jump as the First Rule was from the nothingness it sprang from, if you look at it as, wow, not too long ago, we didn't kill anyone, and now, we're allowed to kill any opponent, if lives depend on it, ANY opponent. That's just huge for the Green Lantern Corps. That's such a giant leap from who they were even recently. We could look at the Second Law as unnecessary or anticimactic, but the Devil is in the details. And just that extra little push from lethal force enabled for Sinestros to all enemies, you know how it goes with all of us, as soon as we start making small allowances for our vices here and there, it just gets worse and worse. And looking at it from that light, the Second Law is actually huge. It shows the snowball on its way to becoming an unstoppable avalanche. Beer becoming all sorts of alcohol. Pot becoming harder drugs. And so on.
I think this issue of GL hit a lot of different spots. Kudos to Johns.
Again, was anyone else curious about that Massacre of Sector 666? I am.
Wow a lot motw this time. Gotta love the teen titans ones especially aqualad.
Pete
Post a Comment
Thanks for checking out the Weekly Crisis - Comic Book Review Blog. Comments are always appreciated. You can sign in and comment with any Google, Wordpress, Live Journal, AIM, OpenID or TypePad account.
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.