
I finished watching all 3 seasons of
Battlestar Galactica. I've still got the
Razer movie thing to watch, but all I've got to say is, end the damn writers' strike already, I'd like season 4, kthnx.
Oh, this isn't just a personal call. I have some
Comic Book Moments of the Week for you guys as well.
Punisher MAX was a bit, um, gruesome is too tame a word for what happened there. Let's just say, if you're squimish, skip over those images.
X-Men had the conclusion to
Messiah Complex and a bunch of moments, of which I could have picked 2 or 3 others if I wanted. Even though just about every death and shocking status quo altering event was pretty much sensationlism and is undone next month, these are still some great moments and the event still goes down as best X-event since probably
AoA.
Well, I've yammered on enough, hit the jump for all the moments!
ASTONISHING X-MEN #24
"One Fastball Special, coming up."
It's the little things like this that I like about Whedon's AXM. It's kind of hard to write a bad story with the A-Team of mutants he has here, but it still takes a quality writer to make it this good. Now he just needs to get off his ass and finish Giant Size AXM and Runaways.
BLUE BEETLE #23
"That's pain. That's Motrin pain."
Blue Beetle was at the top of its game this month and this was the climax of the issue as Jaime is captured and has his scarab ripped from his spine. I take it we'll find out if Jaime can be a hero without the scarab next month. Whatever happens, this storyline looks like it's building up to one hell of a conclusion come #25.
COUNTDOWN TO FINAL CRISIS #14
"Are there robins that aren't red?"
Seriously, I don't get the redundant 'Red' in Red Robin. Robins are red. We don't need to know he's a red Robin. Not sure how this costume offers any more protection than his leather jacket, at least anything that would stop a Superman-level Monarch goon. I think Batman's just got a little Queer Eye for a Super Guy going on and wanted to play dress up with Jason. It's a cool costume though, so that's why I picked this splash page.
"Hell on Earth (-51)"
I was afraid this cliffhanger would be a red robin herring, but previews show these two throwing down next week. Countdown should have had stuff like this long ago. I can't believe how big a difference the last couple weeks have been. And the sad thing is, you could start reading this and it would be as if you never missed a beat even after missing like 30 some odd issues.
PUNISHER MAX #54
"Needle nosed? What kind of insult - AUGH GODDAMNIT!"
Well, we knew it was going to get ugly, but I doubt anyone expected this. Just as Barracuda is laying into him, Frank reaches out for something, anything, and comes up with the plyers he was going to use on the claymore. Needless to say, pliers + nose = ouch.
"I'd like to axe you a few questions."
And this is the penultimate conclusion to the Barracuda vs. Frank feud. Oh yeah, 'Cuda survives these axes long enough for the next moment.
"That's no way to get a head in life."
Yup, no hands, no nose and an axe in the chest, along with the tortures and gunshot wounds and explosions from last issue, couldn't stop Barracuda. In the end, it took a high powered, automatic assault rifle to the face, or well, the area that the face used to occupy, to stop him. Good night, sweet prince.
TEEN TITANS #55
"You do know I've been standing here the whole time, right?"
Poor Blue Beetle, he gets no respect, even from the Teen Sidekicks & Nobodies. At least Ravager knows who's her daddy. That's right, Deathstroke. Where was I? Oh yeah, this little indignity was the best part of Teen Titans and Jaime gets back at these bastards in his own book, so it's all good.
WONDER WOMAN #16
"Those are some nice assets."
I'm not sure why, but I really liked this sequence and the composition of the scene. Not just Wonder Woman's, uh hem, assets, but just, combined with the preceeding page where she first arrived, this just flowed so well. I'm rambling now. It's a cool scene. I like it.
WWH AFTERSMASH: DAMAGE CONTROL #1
"This was the best Editor's Box ever - Editor"
I'm not sure if the editor actually did this or if it was McDuffie, but I could help but laugh when I read this Editor's Box.
"I'm going to call up Tony Stark and have you audited then killed."
Damage Control really impressed me this week, especially with humour like this scene. I'll definitely be picking up the next issue.
X-MEN #207
"Taste like chicken."
Wolverine killed Predator X. Snikt bub.
"Don't worry, billions of shards of sand shurikens ripping apart your insides won't kill you."
I don't want to know how Exodus survives this. I was kind of upset they killed him with no real fanfare and knew they'd revive him, but I didn't think they'd make him literally survive having his insides shredded by sand 'shurikens'. Not only did he survive, but he is able to use his telepathy on every member of the X-Men, New X-Men, X-Factor and X-Force, including all the pyschics present, to convince them Xavier died and then spirits the body away. Give this man a medal because he definitely earned it here. I propose Exodus be put on the Wheaties box after this.
"That red circle, that's where Xavier disappears."
Xavier died. Everyone declared him dead. Exodus steals the body and makes everyone think it's still there. I was hoping this was just an artists error or maybe Xavier had become a Jedi and faded out Obi-Wan style, but, alas, no mutants stay dead anymore, not even for 5 minutes. Unless they're a New X-Man. Those guys die once a week, but never come back.
7 comments:
Is that what happened? are you sure? I know he is gonna be in adjectiveless(didn't call it 'new' not gonna call it legacy) but I thought that was gonna be all astral plane style.
and this is the only x-event since AoA.
"X-Men Come Back More Than Jesus."
- Monica Rambeau.
I've taken up a policy that whenever the MU confuses me, I just have to read through Nextwave until I come to a page that will explain it for me.
@sazyski - I'm not 100% positive it's those exact events, but you can read interviews with Mike Carey at several sites, like at CBR.
Here's some excerpts.
“No, you’re not crazy. Xavier’s body has gone missing,” he told CBR News. “And it looks like nobody has immediately noticed. Something very strange is going on there.”
Xavier is alive and was taken in that last scene where the body disappeared.
“Initially we’ll see him with the Acolytes and with Omega Sentinel,”
Pixie didn't kill OS and the Acolytes are under Exodus' command, so Exodus took him or was involved in spiriting him away in some manner.
Then there'st he preview art for the book. This page in particular:
Exodus and Acolytes Take Xavier
Exodus is perfectly fine walking away unless they are doing some weird fake out or the colouring will be doing all the blood and wounds he received from Dust.
I'd like to believe I'm mistaken about all this and I hope I am, but from what he says and what is shown, I can't see these events being any different than what I described.
@salieri - Ahaha, ya, I remember a quote from Ellis, I think, along the lines of "Nextwave is the only book in the last 20 years that's actually in continuity."
As good as Thunderbolts is with Ellis and Ultimate Spider-Man is with Immonen, I would give my left nut to see a new Nextwave. I would have figured the series would do well in the trade market, but I guess not enough to get another series off the ground with those two high profile creators.
Much as I find myself annoyed at Joe Q these days, he's said he's ready to greenlight it. Ellis has said he's ready but only wants to do Nextwave with Immonen, who is said to be wanting to focus on other projects(Ultimate Spider-Man, for isntance) for the time being. So, everything i waiting on him.
oh, I totally missed that interview. thanks.
Kirk,Red Robin is a kindom come character:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternate_versions_of_Robin#Red_Robin_.28Kingdom_Come.29
Post a Comment
Thanks for checking out the Weekly Crisis - Comic Book Review Blog. Comments are always appreciated. You can sign in and comment with any Google, Wordpress, Live Journal, AIM, OpenID or TypePad account.
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.